With the cost of energy (electricity, gas, oil) rising, proactive energy management is becoming a necessity for most organisations. Add to that the environmental benefits from such a focus, for example the reduction in carbon emissions and the limiting of environmental impact, and it’s easy to see why the new ISO 50001 Certification Energy Management Systems (EnMS) Standard is being welcomed by organisations worldwide.
ISO 50001 certification is the new international energy management standard. It provides a framework and guidance to monitor, manage and potentially reduce your energy consumption.
The Benefits of ISO 50001 Certification
- Measuring and monitoring energy consumption by having an EnMS will assist you in finding ways to use energy more efficiently, thereby potentially reducing costs.
- Identifying your energy sources and usage helps you to limit future risk and determine alternative sources.
- Managing energy and GHG emissions will have a positive impact on your organisation’s carbon footprint, enabling you to take the first steps in complying with any future legislation.
- Focusing on energy management promotes new energy-efficient product/ technologies development.
- Dedicated energy management proves to your stakeholders that you are committed to improving efficiency and limiting your organisation’s impact on the environment.
- Proof of a responsible approach to the environment can influence a buyer’s purchasing decision.
- Environmentally-aware organisations prefer to do business with like-minded companies who can demonstrate a commitment through internationally recognised standards such as ISO 50001.
- Having a structured approach to energy engages employees, leading to better energy efficiency.
- Including an Energy Management System can improve your overall existing management system, positioning your business to compete more effectively in the global marketplace.
- ISO 50001 Certification integrates with other important certification standards such as ISO 14001, ISO 9001 and OHSAS 18001.